Hello from England!

Introduce yourself

Moderator: rockinchippy

matei

Hello from England!

Post by matei » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:37 am

Hi all from sunny Buckinghamshire...

I came here following the demise of HRi, good on Alex for starting up his own forum and FB page to give us a place to discuss gear, music and other things. I find the discussions to be incredibly helpful.

I live in the UK, but I was born on "Lawn Guysland" in NY. I've lived in Ireland, the US, Romania and so on... but for the time being England is home.

I've been playing guitar since I was about 11 or so, was in a band on NY for a number of years and somewhat enjoyed it - but got turned off by the non-music side of the business. For me, life is too short to limit my interests to only one thing, I found that being in a serious outfit, I could only focus on music and nothing else. Lucky for me, my wife really supports my music habit, so nearly 10 years of having sworn off music for good, she encouraged me to get back involved.

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, I'm able to collaborate with my former bandmates to try and finish some old music from our last studio session, transferred the tapes to digital and now we can all work on our parts separately. I realise that while I'm a competent guitarist, I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to recording. I have a lot to learn - and places like the forums Alex has set up are incredibly helpful.

rockinchippy

Re: Hello from England!

Post by rockinchippy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:29 am

Hey man, I grew up and still live on Long Island! So glad to have you here. Thanks for joining !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matei

Post by matei » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 am

Wow - small world. :-) Thanks!

I lived in Patchogue as a kid. I left there ages ago, don't ever really go back as no family left there, even the aul fella lives here with us now.

I did have to go back for a few days in December to sort out some things for my father. The place has changed a lot.

rockinchippy

Post by rockinchippy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 am

matei wrote:Wow - small world. :-) Thanks!

I lived in Patchogue as a kid. I left there ages ago, don't ever really go back as no family left there, even the aul fella lives here with us now.

I did have to go back for a few days in December to sort out some things for my father. The place has changed a lot.
Yup I just saw Danger Danger in Patchogue!

matei

Post by matei » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Wow - they appear to have some pretty well-known bands that are coming to Patchogue... I think I heard someone say that the G3 tour is coming as well?

No one ever came there when I was a kid - it was an utter kip. That theatre was a lovely old Art Deco cinema, but it was falling apart. No venues for bands, nothing. There was nothing good about the town, it was in serious decline.

When I was there in December I couldn't believe it - it has really come around. Not enough that I would ever want to live there though :-D

rockinchippy

Post by rockinchippy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm

matei wrote:Wow - they appear to have some pretty well-known bands that are coming to Patchogue... I think I heard someone say that the G3 tour is coming as well?

No one ever came there when I was a kid - it was an utter kip. That theatre was a lovely old Art Deco cinema, but it was falling apart. No venues for bands, nothing. There was nothing good about the town, it was in serious decline.

When I was there in December I couldn't believe it - it has really come around. Not enough that I would ever want to live there though :-D
There seems to be an uptick in local theater-size live venues on LI. You get to see some pretty big names in small venues. It’s pretty awesome.