Got a Two Notes Captor !

Moderators: rockinchippy, Flash6969

NicD

Got a Two Notes Captor !

Post by NicD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:21 pm

So, since they've finally shipped (been waiting for the Captor ever since it was announced at Winter NAMM, was supposed to ship around Musikmesse and was pushed back a few times), I grabbed a 16ohm Captor.
I've been toying with it a bit (my DSL100 died early this week, so I snagged another one since I have gigs this week) since yesterday. And I've very impressed with the reactive load part of it !
I had a Torpedo Live on loan previously, and my opinion on it was that it was fine, but changed the tone a bit. Also, while I loved it with 3rd party IRs, I didn't gel with the TN speaker sims.
Soooo, the verdict so far on the Captor is, the load part sounds fine. The amp seems to react pretty much like I'm used to. I still am not as happy with the TN speaker sims that come with the Captor, but it might be that the particular cabs that are modeled aren't to my liking liking.

The analog speaker sim is pretty nice, sounds like a V30 (on the Guitar side of the sim), so not entirely what I'm after, but it would do the job if needed.

For live (in those cases where I can't really play loud enough for the 4x12 to breathe and really sound good), I'll probably end up getting one of the many hardware IR loaders or some analog sim (between the Suhr, BluTone, Neunaber and a few others) to get me there.

For recording, I've been pretty happy so far with using the freebie Redwirez Marshall BigBox IRs, they sound very good. I'll investigate the Celestion and Ownhammer offerings too, but so far, the Marshall into the Captor into the Redwirez IRs seems to do the job pretty nicely. Still need to toy with the TN sims though.
Also, I really need to get a better soundcard, I'm not too thrilled with the pres in my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It's nice for a portable solution, so it'll probably end up living in the backpack with my MacBookPro, while I'll get an UA Apollo Twin or an Audient for home use.

Also, I test-ran the -20dB attenuation on the Captor, it's quite nice and could come in handy for live use (I rely a lot on amp interaction for feedback and sustain, which is why I never could gel with direct to desk solutions). Definitely works as advertised.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Captor, being able to record with my actual amp and not sims is very nice. Plus it's pretty cheap (229€). And it's not too bulky, so it can live on top of the amp head. Still need to work on the simulation part, and see if I can up my game on the IR front, but so far I'm super happy with it.

rockinchippy

Re: Got a Two Notes Captor !

Post by rockinchippy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm

So, it's kind of like a reactive load mixed with something similar to the ADA GCS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NicD

Post by NicD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Yep, in a way. Basically, it's a reactive load with an analog cab sim that can be bypassed. The nice part being, it can be phantom powered, so no need for a power supply. The cab sim is pretty basic though, it's either guitar, bass or off. But it seems to do the job, so far. Again, I need to toy with it a bit more, so the jury's still out on that part. But the load part is solid.

rockinchippy

Post by rockinchippy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:32 pm

NicD wrote:Yep, in a way. Basically, it's a reactive load with an analog cab sim that can be bypassed. The nice part being, it can be phantom powered, so no need for a power supply. The cab sim is pretty basic though, it's either guitar, bass or off. But it seems to do the job, so far. Again, I need to toy with it a bit more, so the jury's still out on that part. But the load part is solid.
Sounds like a cool device! Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NicD

Post by NicD » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:22 am

Quick test recording a cover of Queen's Tie Your Mother Down:

https://soundcloud.com/nicolas-du-villard/tie-your-mother-down-playthrough

I threw it together quickly, so it's not perfect, rhythm parts aren't entirely tight, but you get the idea.
Recorded with the Les Paul into the DSL100 into the Captor, with the free Redwirez Marshall BigBox IR pack (on rhythm guitars), and the TN WoS sims (and an OD9 thrown in from of the DSL) for lead parts...which is a first take too, so could be better. But again, it's not intended as a demo of my (meager) playing abilities either...

All in all, for something I've been experimenting with for a couple of hours, it's pretty good, and I'm confident it can be improved. It's also miles better than anything I could get out of amp sims so far.

Toinou

Post by Toinou » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Got mine a few days ago
Just plugged it in real quick at rehearsal, direct in the desk and to IEM, sounded really great.
Great amp tone, very touch sensitive like the original amp. A bit more presence, compared to the amp miked, but that's actually very pleasant in the IEM's .
First gig next week with it ... looking forward

rockinchippy

Post by rockinchippy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 pm

NicD wrote:Quick test recording a cover of Queen's Tie Your Mother Down:

https://soundcloud.com/nicolas-du-villard/tie-your-mother-down-playthrough

I threw it together quickly, so it's not perfect, rhythm parts aren't entirely tight, but you get the idea.
Recorded with the Les Paul into the DSL100 into the Captor, with the free Redwirez Marshall BigBox IR pack (on rhythm guitars), and the TN WoS sims (and an OD9 thrown in from of the DSL) for lead parts...which is a first take too, so could be better. But again, it's not intended as a demo of my (meager) playing abilities either...

All in all, for something I've been experimenting with for a couple of hours, it's pretty good, and I'm confident it can be improved. It's also miles better than anything I could get out of amp sims so far.
Dude that sounds great !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NicD

Post by NicD » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:45 am

Tbh I'm not entirely happy with how it sounds,but I need to listen to it with fresh ears (gigged yesterday, again tonight). But functionally, it works great. Need to mess with the analog sim as well, though it seems to be V30-voiced, and these don't gel too well with my Marshall. We'll see. To be continued ;)

NicD

Post by NicD » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:00 am

So, I did some more tests with the Captor, and I'm super happy with it.
The internal analog cab sim is definitely usable, very similar to some V30 sims, so not entirely my thing, but still very usable.
I'm still planning to get the new Mooer cab sim pedal whenever it'll be available, just so I can load some IRs and not have to use the analog sim. Thins will definitely come handy for some gigs where I can't really crank the Marshall and get the 4x12 moving air (which is quite often in the fall and winter season).

Anyway, here is another clip I made with it, pretty happy with how it sounds. It was created pretty fast (took me around 2 hours, starting from scratch). I went for a Tom Petty-inspired feel on the main riff.
Drums are GarageBand loops, bass actually is my Jazz Bass knockoff on the Precision pickup, into the Marshall on clean channel (Crunch mode, gain very low) into the Captor, using the 4x10 and 1x15 bass cab sims in WoS.
All guitars (ie the MIJ '52 RI Tele, the LP, and the Strat on neck pickup) are recorded on the DSL100 red channel, gain at noon. I kicked on a Maxon OD9 for the last solo on the Les Paul. They all use various IRs from the Redwirez free package (Marshall BigBox, which is a 1960B with G12Ms).
All effects are GarageBand's internal effects.

Anyway, here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/nicolas-du-villard/test-captor

NicD

Post by NicD » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:21 am

More fun with the Captor ! Alex, you might did that, it's full-on 80s rock, complete with chorus, loads of delay/reverb, and the Kramer (tuned to Drop C#) ! Some Les Paul as well.
I had much fun recording that. It's been done from scratch in around an hour, using GB drum loops and recording the rest. Same gear as usual. And yeah, I'm a sloppy lead player :doh:

https://soundcloud.com/nicolas-du-villard/test-captor-80s-rock