CCV versions, post and pre Brad what to look for

Moderators: rockinchippy, Flash6969

EXPcustom

Post by EXPcustom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:13 am

Mark may actually get mad at me for posting this so it maybe deleted but I get constant questions of different versions of the CCV so if you're not sure what to buy or what to offer I will give you a little background. Like I said I may delete this if Mark asks me to but here goes:

Pre Brad: CCVs were developed by Mark Cameron and Chris Schmidt, had green colored version 1.0 PCB boards. These had their own separate effects loop boards designed by Mark and some had tube buffered effects loops. No Midi switching ever. You can tell right away a Pre-Brad by the metal four screw(sometimes brass") metal 3-d Cameron logo, super high quality. No "Amplification" written under the Cameron logo. Some later pre-pro or pre-brad models did have the entire Cameron Amplification written out. Although not metal you could see they were high quality plastic that was etched into the logo plate, no screw holes. Some of these later ones were missing back plates so they were hand done by Mark. High quality all black powder coated unique chassis.

Brad-ear CCVs: Just want to start this off by saying I am not trying to trash these by any means because most still ended up being hand done by Mark before being shipped to the customers. These had different green PCBs I believe they said TM version 1.03 on the board. Had Midi switching which was kind of added as a last minute feature. Chassis were thinner, different color/finish. Face plates were silkscreened and so was the logo which read "Cameron" with "Amplification" underneath. Also if you look directly at the front of the amp you can see the knobs did not line up properly and covered the words on the bottom row of the faceplate. Effects loops were Metro loops.

Post Brad/Black board/Sucker Free/Jason era CCV: Same exact setup as the original pre-pro era. The only differences are black with yellow writing PCB and effects loop. Good quality chassis again. The face plates are high quality engraved/etched plastic so you can see them on the stage unlike shiny silkscreened cheap plastic. Logo is etched plastic as well and contains the entire words Cameron Amplification. Midi is/was removed. Also knobs line up properly when you look head on with an amp, no more words being covered by knobs. Only three or four of these were ever made, the next CCVs will be these exact same specs and yes people on the list will be getting these black board versions as we put them out. These also have unique black on yellow PCB effects loops designed by Mark.

Hope this helps with any confusion regarding the CCVs over the years, I can't say more and like I said this post maybe taken down because I don't have Mark's permission to post this stuff.

Alex_S

Re: CCV versions, post and pre Brad what to look for

Post by Alex_S » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 am

Great post. Thanks a lot!

Do you have any information on differences of sound or used parts (irons etc.)?

Alex_S

Post by Alex_S » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:12 am

EXPcustom wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:13 am

... the next CCVs will be these exact same specs and yes people on the list will be getting these black board versions as we put them out. These also have unique black on yellow PCB effects loops designed by Mark.

Missed the most important part first time reading your post. CCVs are in production again? Tell me more...

rockinchippy

Post by rockinchippy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:40 am

Awesome post thanks Jason!

I believe I have one pre-prod and two Jason era CCVs. I’ll post the backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockinchippy

Post by rockinchippy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:20 pm

This is my pre-prod with the permanent marker backplate! Lol

This I believe is one of the 2014 previously owned by Steve K who now trolls and hates me ironically.

This I believe is another 2014 and was previously owned by Derek Fuller. He told me Mark made a slight tweak to Ch 2, mode 2 to be more Atomica-ish.

Alex_S

Post by Alex_S » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:28 pm

Are these the settings you play with? They differ a lot from amp to amp. Do they sound so different that you dial them in so differently or are these different sounds (or even random settings)?

keennay

Post by keennay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 pm

EXPcustom wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:13 am
Mark may actually get mad at me for posting this so it maybe deleted but I get constant questions of different versions of the CCV so if you're not sure what to buy or what to offer I will give you a little background. Like I said I may delete this if Mark asks me to but here goes:

Pre Brad: CCVs were developed by Mark Cameron and Chris Schmidt, had green colored version 1.0 PCB boards. These had their own separate effects loop boards designed by Mark and some had tube buffered effects loops. No Midi switching ever. You can tell right away a Pre-Brad by the metal four screw(sometimes brass") metal 3-d Cameron logo, super high quality. No "Amplification" written under the Cameron logo. Some later pre-pro or pre-brad models did have the entire Cameron Amplification written out. Although not metal you could see they were high quality plastic that was etched into the logo plate, no screw holes. Some of these later ones were missing back plates so they were hand done by Mark. High quality all black powder coated unique chassis.

Brad-ear CCVs: Just want to start this off by saying I am not trying to trash these by any means because most still ended up being hand done by Mark before being shipped to the customers. These had different green PCBs I believe they said TM version 1.03 on the board. Had Midi switching which was kind of added as a last minute feature. Chassis were thinner, different color/finish. Face plates were silkscreened and so was the logo which read "Cameron" with "Amplification" underneath. Also if you look directly at the front of the amp you can see the knobs did not line up properly and covered the words on the bottom row of the faceplate. Effects loops were Metro loops.

Post Brad/Black board/Sucker Free/Jason era CCV: Same exact setup as the original pre-pro era. The only differences are black with yellow writing PCB and effects loop. Good quality chassis again. The face plates are high quality engraved/etched plastic so you can see them on the stage unlike shiny silkscreened cheap plastic. Logo is etched plastic as well and contains the entire words Cameron Amplification. Midi is/was removed. Also knobs line up properly when you look head on with an amp, no more words being covered by knobs. Only three or four of these were ever made, the next CCVs will be these exact same specs and yes people on the list will be getting these black board versions as we put them out. These also have unique black on yellow PCB effects loops designed by Mark.

Hope this helps with any confusion regarding the CCVs over the years, I can't say more and like I said this post maybe taken down because I don't have Mark's permission to post this stuff.
Why on earth would there be any problems with this post? From a business-standpoint (and if he were smart), you could create demand for the newer CCV models especially if they're closer in build to the pre-production builds.

rockinchippy

Post by rockinchippy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Alex_S wrote:Are these the settings you play with? They differ a lot from amp to amp. Do they sound so different that you dial them in so differently or are these different sounds (or even random settings)?
I wouldn’t pay any mind to those settings. I probably shifted them by accident.

The amps do have their own personality but the knobs still work in similar fashion.

It’s a HIGHLY tweakable amp. I think the reason the CCV is so feared is that Mark doesn’t pretend each minor tweak deserves to be its own amp. He basically gives you every mod in one amp.

If you look at the front there are 3-way toggles above every control. Presence mods, depth mods, clipping mods, bright mods.

I always find it funny when there is a CCV model in something like an Axe Fx because you can dial in the amp 100s of ways. It’s not a one-tone amp like those presets pretend to represent.

I can make this go from AC/DC to VH all the way to high gain Mesa tones. It’s all in there.

And the glory of the CCV is that no matter how you set it, the feel stays amazing and nothing weird happens with the bass response. I’ve played so many amps wherein things get funky when you set something a certain way.

The CCV reacts like mixers on a fader to all changes. This is why I do consider it the ultimate amp. Only true amp fanatics would understand what I am describing.

Alex_S

Post by Alex_S » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:29 am

Completely agree on your view on modeling/profiling such very flexible Amps. Doesn’t represent the amp very well, only a small fraction of its abilities.

Very interesting is your comment on the controls acting less amp like more like studio EQs. Would be interesting what’s the reason for that. Should be that different from what i understand, but you’re the man to judge (given your experience. Real world always beats theory ;-)

The main remaining question of course after your mail remains how do I get such a monster amp... :confused:

NicD

Post by NicD » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 am

I guess it's especially true of the Kemper, which provides a snapshot of an amp at a particular setting, a bit less so with anything that tries to emulate an amp's workings on a particular channel, ala AFX.
But as a whole, yeah, totally agree. It's also true for others devices, such as the PCM42 or SDD-3000, that are kinda finicky, but whose quirks are what makes them sound a certain way...