Nuno's upper midrange tone

Moderators: rockinchippy, Flash6969

aliendough

Nuno's upper midrange tone

Post by aliendough » Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 am

It's been a long time since I posted on the forum here, so I thought that I'd come and ask something for all the experts on here.

I noticed that Nuno has this upper mid thing going on in his tone and I'm having a hard time trying to get into the ballpark. I'm wondering what sort of EQ range would I need to tune into in order to get that sound? I know his pickups play a huge part, but I'm sure I could get kind of close.

Here are a few examples:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

It's quite pronounced on that 2010 video ^

Here it is again;

It almost sounds like he has a parked wah somewhere in his chain, but I'm not aware of this.

Alex_S

Re: Nuno's upper midrange tone

Post by Alex_S » Tue May 30, 2017 12:23 am

Hm, not quiet sure we hear the same thing. It doesn't sound too special to me. I'd say it is a combination of a Marshall plexi kind mid range + greenbacks + EQing the mids up + the way he picks. If you hold your plektrum slightly angled, let it only stand out a little bit and get your thumb to hardly touch the strings as well (close to trying to get a squeal) it gets a midrangier sound. I think that's it. Don't think there is any special amp tuning or pedal involved. But I'm no Nuno-gear expert. That's just what i hear.

And these clips are bad ass. Nuno is such a killer player. Love his playing.

rockinchippy

Post by rockinchippy » Tue May 30, 2017 8:00 pm

You can get this tone boosting a Marshall with the Stevens Rockaway or a Suhr Koko Boost. To Alex's point it's just saturating the mids. Like a Cameron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockinchippy

Post by rockinchippy » Tue May 30, 2017 8:36 pm

I thought used a RAT distortion pedal. That's what was baked into his signature Randall although that amp was awful in every way.

aliendough

Post by aliendough » Wed May 31, 2017 7:15 am

Guys, thanks for the replies.

Do you think he has those mids cranked right up? What about the treble? Sounds like he has the bass rolled off a good bit?

Rockinchippy - that Randall amp was awful. Before Nuno started using Marshalls on stage I saw a few picture of him with rows of the Randall Bettencourt amp onstage, but with a single Marshall tucked away at the back, doing all the work.

Alex_S

Post by Alex_S » Wed May 31, 2017 3:36 pm

aliendough wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:15 am
Guys, thanks for the replies.

Do you think he has those mids cranked right up? What about the treble? Sounds like he has the bass rolled off a good bit?

Rockinchippy - that Randall amp was awful. Before Nuno started using Marshalls on stage I saw a few picture of him with rows of the Randall Bettencourt amp onstage, but with a single Marshall tucked away at the back, doing all the work.
I don't think mids or highs are maxed. Just put up (mids more then highs). Don't forget you hear in this Clips the sound coming from the monitors through mics etc.. that Sounds quiet different from your in the room sound. Some highs get lost (depending on your mics) and other frequencies are also changed. So you can't get there 100% standing in front of your amp.
BTW listen to then clean (rolled back volume) parts like 10:30 in the second clip. Gives some ideas on the settings as well.

Hell Nuno is such a killer. Rewatched both clips again. Can't ever get enough of his playing...

wolf5151

Post by wolf5151 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:38 pm

I think you've missed a couple of key elements to his tone, the slightly downsized totally unfinished Alder body , his use of extremely bright tone Bil Lawrence 500xl humbucker, the Stephens neck joint and his Floyd.
These all add up to an extremely bright toned guitar that will stamp it's signature on any amp.

rockinchippy

Post by rockinchippy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:43 am

wolf5151 wrote:I think you've missed a couple of key elements to his tone, the slightly downsized totally unfinished Alder body , his use of extremely bright tone Bil Lawrence 500xl humbucker, the Stephens neck joint and his Floyd.
These all add up to an extremely bright toned guitar that will stamp it's signature on any amp.
Excellent point.

Alex_S

Post by Alex_S » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:04 pm

You can hear his sound very well in isolation on this track:

Dmcguitar

Post by Dmcguitar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Fwiw he was using a Marshall DSL for the generation x tour, and he sounded just like himself... I thinks it's just his guitar a Marshall style amp and his playing that makes it sound that way... Could be middle position pickups to..

I noticed that tone came out on extreme iii and more on waiting for the punchline. He is quite consistent.