Nash S-81 Drop Tunings and Strings

A place to discuss every day tips and tricks related to gear maintenance, recording or just about anything!

Moderators: rockinchippy, Flash6969

MesaBoogieMan

Nash S-81 Drop Tunings and Strings

Post by MesaBoogieMan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:07 pm

I have a Nash S-81 currently in Standard tuning with 10-46's and also the EVH D-Tuna installed. I am not sure the scale of this guitar but it feels like the neck is shorter scale than my strat and ESP Eclipse. I am thinking of tuning this guitar down one whole step and putting a set of 11-48's on it and wondered if anyone knows how this set up might end up playing and sounding with this guitar?

It has a Floyd Rose so it's a commitment to set this all up and I wasn't sure if the smaller scale may or may not lend it's self to this type of set up. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Chris :rock:

rockinchippy

Re: Nash S-81 Drop Tunings and Strings

Post by rockinchippy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:25 am

MesaBoogieMan wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:07 pm
I have a Nash S-81 currently in Standard tuning with 10-46's and also the EVH D-Tuna installed. I am not sure the scale of this guitar but it feels like the neck is shorter scale than my strat and ESP Eclipse. I am thinking of tuning this guitar down one whole step and putting a set of 11-48's on it and wondered if anyone knows how this set up might end up playing and sounding with this guitar?

It has a Floyd Rose so it's a commitment to set this all up and I wasn't sure if the smaller scale may or may not lend it's self to this type of set up. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Chris :rock:

The Mick Mars tuning :rock:

I have downtuned Suhr's with floating bridges to whole step down. The thicker string gauge is key.

Is that bridge floating? Either way, I imagine you will need to adjust the spring tension.

MesaBoogieMan

Re: Nash S-81 Drop Tunings and Strings

Post by MesaBoogieMan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks for responding.

I love Mick Mars and that is one of the reasons for wanting this guitar set up that way. :-)

The bridge is stabilized with an FU-Tone trem stopper. I may give this a shot and just see how it goes. I can always go back :-)

Thanks and keep on rockin'!